Friday, February 12, 2010

One song: glory; one song before I leave: glory; one song to leave behind...

So I was out for a chat with the girls and the conversation turned to my Dad.

In particular one of my good friends was thanking me for a bit of wisdom that my Dad imparted to me and I imparted to her and she has since imparted to others.

And then we got talking in general about my Dad - his life and his death and how I went through it all. Surprisingly, it was a really good talk. Productive. We talked a lot about parents and about losing parents and I had the opportunity not only to think about, but also to express, the lessons I've learned from my Dad, both through his life and from beyond the grave.

And I will say this: The single greatest thing I learned from my Dad, from the way that he lived and the way that he died, is never to waste one single day of your life.

It is a lesson it would do me well to pay greater attention to. I have been wasting a lot of my days lately. Chasing paths that go nowhere; chasing dreams that will never be.

And so I have resolved this, as I barrel towards 35: I will not waste one more day. I intend to start living the life I have, and be grateful for it, rather than living the life I don't.

It's a lesson I think we could all take note of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home